Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gutzon Borglum - Mount Rushmore Sculptor



Submitted by Kyle:
I have an item for you to add to the blog if you could. It's a print of a Lincoln sketch done by Gutzon Borglum! I don't know much about it, but hopefully someone on the board does. I've attached some photos. Here's the info about it:

The writing posted on the bottom of the print matting (it is not hand written...printed and pasted on) reads:"This is the sketch made by Guzton Borglum when he started his famous sculpture-"The Lonely Lincoln" He gave it to me and I have had it is produced for those friends who also believe 'That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom" Christmas, 1941 Missy Maloney.

The way this is worded confuses me. I'm not sure whether it's the original print or one of Missy Maloney's reproductions. My guess is that it is an original...just judging the best I can by the wording and the quality of the print itself.

There is quite a bit of foxing on the front, but not so much on Lincoln himself (mainly around him). The print has been taped onto the matte from the back and the entire back of the print is very discolored (evenly). I would like to have this professionally restored and framed, but I want to make sure that it's worth it and that I get the right people to do it if it is.

If anyone can give me any information about this piece I would greatly appreciate it. I am also unsure as to who Missy Maloney is.

IF you can help Kyle with an idea of the value of this item please click on the comment button.

2 comments:

  1. I also have a print in excellent condition but taped on the back side of the framed portrait is what looks like an original hand written ink message on aged paper that you have on the front of your picture. Although the handwritten message is the same as yours and signed by Missy Maloney, there is no mention of a date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have the same print and note in good condition. I lived on Borglum Road in Wilton, Connecticut, across the road from the Solon Borgulm studio and was neighbors with many of the Borglums. There were bronze castings in the woods, on stone walls, etc., of western images made by Solon. Anyway, Missy Maloney may be Marie Maloney, also known as Missy, a prominent American journalist who became close friends with Marie Curie, the great Madam Curie, after being one of the few ever granted an interview.("Marie and Pierre Curie and the Discovery of Polonium and Radium.") I would like to have some idea of the value of this sketch and note. Also, has any else come up with information on Missy?

    ReplyDelete